In January 2014, a group of PV members gathered for our first-ever planning retreat, and coming out of that time, we set some pretty BIG, lofty and audacious goals for our church. At that time, I honestly wondered if we had set the bar too high, but I’ve got great news to share: We’ve made great progress on all of them!
Here is a summary of the 4 goals that were set during the planning retreat, as well as an update on where things currently stand:
- Launch The Journey service – Our first Journey service was held at Cox Elementary on March 23, 2014, and we’ve worshipped each week at that location ever since!
- Have 150 members and attenders in worship by the end of the year – So far in 2014, we are currently averaging 71 members and attenders in worship each Sunday. And last year at this time, PV was averaging 49 in worship each week. That’s a 44.9% increase!
- Have 10 small groups meeting regularly – To date, we’ve had eleven: Women’s book club, fellowship class, community group, 2 youth classes, children’s class, choir, Faith Circle, Men’s Breakfast, senior fun days, and Methodism 101 class.
- Have 40 children in summer programs – We had a very successful VBS in July, where 22 kids came to the PV campus to learn more about what it means to serve family, serve the community and serve Jesus. And we had a great youth overnight mission trip, where 11 young people served local ministries and participated in Bible lessons. While we were short of our goal, we saw a significant increase in attendance and provided more options for kids of all ages.
As you can see, we’ve made great strides on all of our BIG goals… and some of them we can actually check off our list as completed. Very exciting!
But we still have a ways to go on a few. Here are a few suggestions on ways you can help us get closer to the rest of our goals:
- Invite others to join us for worship, a small group or a social gathering.
- Think about what small groups would minister to those in your community, and start one in the church or in your home.
- Pray for our church… for new guests to come, for people to get more involved, and for our various community outreach opportunities.
It’s obvious that God has BIG things in store for us as we journey toward the end of the year. We’ll have several opportunities for guests, family and friends to come and see what we’re all about. Please don’t be shy about your great love for our church. It’s your endorsement that will likely encourage them to come.
Thanks for your prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness for our church!